First Impressions: MBT Rocker Sole Shoes

0 comments

Skinny Girl's Quest for Muscle
First Impressions: Crazy, Wobbly, Rocking-Sole Shoes--Friend or Foe? Or Just Plain Goofy?

Original Draft: July 24th, 2009
Release Date: August 6, 2009

I've been eyeing the MBT and Ryn rocker-style shoes for some time now. I first learned about them after reading an amusing article in Running World magazine. The author journaled about wearing a pair of rocker-sole shoes during his family's week-long Disney theme park vacation. After the brief introduction through the magazine article, I spied the crazy footwear in the window display of a downtown shoe store during one of my many get-the-heck-out-of-the-office breaks. The shoe store is known for its more comfortable and proper [read: boring, ugly] shoes--hence the reason that I'd never actually visited the interior of the store. Why bother if the window displays lacks adorable, yet skyscraperesque high heels?

Now back to those rocker-soles. MBT states that they are "anti hard flat surface" and that they have created "the anti shoe". What this results in is a shoe with a sole that looks more like a rocking chair than the large, stable, flat wedge we're accustom to on the bottom of our shoes. Imagine cutting a hard rubber ball in half and gluing it to the bottom of your tennis shoes--Ahhh, now you have MBT shoes "the anti shoe". Using the term "the anti shoe" seems quite fitting for these bizarre kicks, unless of course you are talking about clown shoes or a shoe that rubber band man might wear--but more on this later.

Why ever would I want to buy "the anti shoe"? And, more specifically, why on earth would I buy an ugly shoe? Yes, I said it, they are ugly! Well, to start, MBT claims that their shoes reduce stress on your joints and back. Ok, this is a nice benefit especially for those of us who are not kind to our knees and backs (I'm raising my hand here). MBT also states that they improve posture. This could be a positive for some, however I'm always complimented on my good posture so it's not necessarily a selling point in my case. MBT goes on to say that they help build leg, lower abs, and lower back strength. Now this is a definite selling point as my goal this August is to build up some big, gnarly, Schwarzenegger-like leg muscle. Certainly a shoe alone won't give me the herculean muscles that I'm after, but it can't hurt right? Finally, MBT suggests that they improve gait. Another selling point. Perhaps with improved gait, I'll run faster (speed is good!)

There are even a few research articles posted on the MBT website that I've since downloaded but have yet to read. The titles are quite intriguing and include articles such as: "Activity of selected muscles crossing the ankle joint complex and lower limb gait characteristics using an unstable shoe", "Masai Barefoot Technology, a quantitative pilot study about the effect of gait in MBT-shoes for persons with Low Back Pain", and finally, the most teasing of the bunch: "Cellulite Study". Definitely a first-in-line read! Anything that claims to cure cellulite has the potential for a highly entertaining read. Do I rub the shoes on my backside? Oh I can not wait to take a peek at their cellulite reduction methods!

Skipping back in time to my purchase. As I mentioned earlier, this was my first visit to the "comfortable" shoe store--oh the agony of walking into a store that lacked any pink or sparkly shoes. However, the salesman was friendly, the shop was decorated in a minimal and modern style--I think I could handle it. I was introduced to two different brands of the rocker-sole shoe, Ryn and MBT. Their soles are similar but Ryn had slightly more stylish (if I dare call them stylish) shoes including a patent leather Mary Jane and a chic disco tennis shoe in a Puma-like design of silver on black. The Ryn brand also claims an anti-slip sole--something not marketed in the ads of rival company MBT. Upon wearing both, I noticed that the Ryn shoes were definitely less slippy, but the MBT shoes could not be considered slick, especially for someone who is used to wearing high heels with shiny red soles that have less than six square inches of contact surface. Not a problem for this gal.

The Ryn's were also lighter and had quite a bit of arch support. Both brands offered multiple styles including tennis shoes, "Teva" like sandals, basic black shoes, and a hiking style. However, MBT also offered a few casual style shoes in canvas with either laces or leather straps. Additionally, MBT had three varieties of rocker-sole, the original (a moderate rock), the new sole (the most exaggerated rock of the MBT shoes) and a less conspicuous sole (with the least amount of rock). Aesthetically, I preferred the casual shoes in canvas with laces. But, to my disappointment, learned that the store did not have any in my size.

After walking around the store in more than six different styles, as pairs and as unmatched sets for comparison purposes, I finally settled on the MBT Sport Black. Although I really liked the look of the Ryn Nazca, in the ubercool silver and black, they just seemed way too clownish on my feet. Of all of the shoes, the Sport Black were the least noticeable. Important warning here: the first time you see these shoes on your feet, you may quite possibly die of shock. They are goofy! And, don't bring the gal-gang into the shoe store, an uncontrollable gigglanche will erupt.

So, What's the Big Deal?

This is where it gets good! I was definitely a skeptic. The shoe manufacturers brag about how walking on rocking-soles is like walking on sand, by the ocean...blah blah blah. Right. Walking on sand by the ocean sounds like a lovely way to advertise anything. I'd probably buy toilet paper if I thought it would transport me to the beach, on a sunny day, with a little umbrella adorned drink at my side. Who is gullible enough to believe this stuff?

After walking back to the office in these shoes following my purchase, I definitely wouldn't describe the feeling that I got as walking on sand by the ocean. But, what they did do was to put a huge ear-to-ear kooky smile on my face! Boing Boing Boing! I am rubber band man! Oh yeah baby! I'm springy and I've got big, fast steps. And, I'm cruising down the sidewalk at a million miles per hour (and I probably look like a raging lunatic! with a big goofy smile on my face, an outlandishly bouncy gait, and clown-shoes to boot!) But, who the heck cares? I like it!

Oh, and did I mention, I'm about two to three inches taller? Can't beat that.

So what if my co-workers (and the CEO down the hall) all think I've, as my Grandmother would say "gone cracky". These shoes rock (and roll) and they make me happy (and bouncy).

I've only been able to walk a few blocks in them--I definitely need to give them a more thorough break in before I recommend them. On the downside, I did notice a strain in my low back (which is probably a result of yesterday's heavy squats at the gym--time will tell) and I'm a little afraid of wearing these babies while walking the dog: "Oh look mom, a squirrel! Let's get it!"

Me: Boing boing boing, "Ack, I can't stop!"

Boing boing boing.

[smile]

boing boing boing.



- - - - -
references:
a) http://us.mbt.com/

What next?

You can also bookmark this post using your favorite bookmarking service:

Related Posts by Categories